ALLIANCE member, Engender, have published a new briefing with recommendations for Scottish Government and MSPs.
Engender (this link will take you away from our website) is Scotland’s feminist policy and advocacy organisation. Their vision is for a Scotland where women have political, economic and social equality with men, and access to resources, safety and decision making on the same basis.
Their new briefing explores some of the ways in which the differences between men’s and women’s lives play in to COVID-19, and describes critical issues they believe that the Scottish Government and MSPs should include in their thinking about crisis response, and medium-run mitigation programmes and expenditure.
Some of the issues explored in the briefing include:
- The need for gender competence in crisis management
- Women, health and healthcare
- Disproportionate childcare roles and social security
- Women as providers of social care
- Women and the economy
- Women and mental health
- Men’s violence against women and women’s safety
Engender make a series of recommendations, calling for measures that:
- Prioritise gender into crisis management
- Uphold healthcare for women
- Strengthen paid and unpaid social care
- Enhance women’s economic position
- Protect women experiencing gender-based violence
Please note that this information is accurate at the date of publication (26 March 2020).