A taskforce will be set up in early 2019 to ensure Scotland is at the forefront of building a rights-based society.
The body will take forward the recommendations from the First Minister’s Advisory Group on Human Rights Leadership.
The group was set up to offer advice on how the Scottish Government can further enhance human rights.
Publishing its report, the group set out seven main recommendations. Among these are;
- Introducing an act of the Scottish Parliament to establish a new framework of human rights designed to improve people’s daily lives
- The setting up of a ‘public participatory process’ to shape the preparation of the Act
- A process of targeted capacity-building to enable the practical and effective implementation of the Act
- Establishing a Scottish Government National Mechanism for Monitoring, Reporting and Implementation of Human Rights
- Development of human rights-based indicators for Scotland’s National Performance Framework (NPF)