The Young Carer Grant is a new yearly cash payment of £300 for 16-18 year olds which unpaid carers can spend as they choose.
Young carers can claim if they are at school, in further education, employed or unemployed and may be eligible if they meet all of the following criteria:
- they live in Scotland.
- they are 16, 17 or 18 years of age when applying.
- caring for an average of 16 hours per week, over a 13 week period.
- care for someone normally paid a qualifying disability benefit.
- they have not applied for or receive Carer’s Allowance.
- they are not paid or volunteer to care.
People will be able to apply online (this link will take you away from our website) from 21 October 2019 or through the Freephone helpline at 0800 182 2222 (open Monday to Friday from 8am to 6pm).