The Sensory Team is part of the South Ayrshire Health and Social Care Partnership.
We provide support to people who are Deaf and people who are affected by hearing and/or sight loss throughout South Ayrshire.
We work closely with NHS Ayrshire and Arran ophthalmology and audiology colleagues, social work community care teams, third sector groups such as the Sensory Impaired Support Group (SISG), Action on Hearing Loss, Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB), British Deaf Association, as well as local community support groups.
We can help with the following:
- Providing emotional support
- Providing information and advice on all aspects of hearing and/or sight loss
- Maintaining the register of sight impaired people and offering registration visits
- Signposting to other services such as welfare benefits, community groups, support groups
- Providing training on communication and independent living skills
- Providing mobility training to develop and increase safe and independent movement both indoors and outdoors such as using public transport
- Demonstrating the use of equipment to support independence
- Linking people in to their community
- Assessing care and support needs using Self Directed Support.